Image
Description
Downtown view from Vanderburgh County Courthouse. Here is seen the Ohio River across to Kentucky. The tall building is the former Old National Bank at 420 Main St. The Old State National Bank was established circa 1835. and around 1883-1885 was renamed Old National Bank. In 1916 it moved to a building immediately next to this one. In 1970 it moved into the building seen here, and the 1916 building was razed. This building still exists, but the bank has moved into a new building. The other ornate building is the old post office, a.k.a. Customs House, at 200 NW 2nd St. between Sycamore St. and Vine St. Construction started in 1873 and the Old Post Office and Customs House was completed in 1879. The Old Post Office was designed by A.B. Mullett and Company in the Richardsonian Romanesque style; featuring round arches, stone masonry and towers. This building, like many other historical downtown buildings was built by Charles Pearce and Company. In 1971, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Wings (seen here) were added to each end in 1918. The federal government abandoned this facility in 1969 and the city acquired it in 1977. Today it houses an event venue.